Skip to main content

Fantasy Formula 1 2012 is GO!

That's it then. I've shut the door, battened down the hatches and switched off the complimentary cappuccino machine. The hoards of unwashed F1 fans have been ushered out, and I'm finally alone.

When I say alone - I've got a pile of bits of paper, a bunch of saved tweets, a complicated spreadsheet and a sensation that is best described as panicky, as I now attempt to make it all work before the first race.

WHICH IS THIS WEEKEND! WAHOOOOO!!! FORMULA 1 IS BACK!

Sorry for shouting - I didn't realise your hangover was quite that large.

As Fantasy Formula 1 begins it's 17th year, we're celebrating our largest ever field too, with 33 people taking part this year. Ooo - I just had another spreadsheet-related mini panic attack.

I've no idea how I'm going to make this all work AND keep up with Big Blogger if I'm lucky enough to make it through the next round, but hey - it's good to have challenges. Especially if they scare the bejaysus out of you.

So, I guess you'd like to know a bit about what teams and drivers have been picked then eh? (Please say yes - I've already written it). Yes? Oh good. Here you go then...

You fickle munchkins, you! Once again, there are some surprises in who you’ve all picked. When I say surprises, I mean shocks. Ferrari and Felipe Massa are NOT going to pleased with you lot. Having said that, they’re generally unhappy about everything, so don’t let it worry you. You weren’t? Good for you.
 
Matching the championship last year, it’s no surprise Red Bull got the most selections with 15, closely trailed by McLaren with 14. Perhaps due to that cheery Finnish fellow, Lotus are up next with 6 call-ups, Ahead of Toro Rosso, Caterham and Ferrari with 5. I can hear that Luca di Grumpizemelo chap winding himself up for a rant already. Sauber, Force India and a surprisingly lowly Mercedes get 4 selections each, with the once great Williams on 2, and HRT and Marussia 1 call-up each.

Obviously Vettel was going to bag a raft of selections, and he has with 12. The biggest shock of FF1 2012 (apart from my stunning handsomeness) is that di Resta also bags 12. Either you rate him, or I under priced him. Alonso is next up with 7, closely followed by Button and Hamilton on 6 each. Raikkonen returns with 5, whilst Kovalainen bags 4, Kobayashi gets 3, and Ricciardo and Webber 2 each. Webber? In a Red Bull? Only 2? Jaw on floor. I’m also startled by Rosberg and Schumacher only getting 1 each, along with Vergne, Grosjean, Glock, de la Rosa and Senna.

7 drivers are feeling unloved tonight, mostly significantly Massa, after getting no selections at all. Hulkenberg, Perez and Petrov not grabbing anyone’s interest at a reasonable price is a bit odd (although Vitaly’s late call up didn’t help that), but it’s no surprise that Maldonado, Karthikeyan and Pic are free from votes.

Right - I'm off to try and remember how to set up a mailing group in my email account...

(The radiogram has soothed my path through FF1 this morning, with Ken Bruce's show on Radio 2. Pipe and slippers optional.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.