Skip to main content

Death sucks

This might be a bit depressing. I therefore want you to imagine a cute puppy wagging it’s little tail and licking your nose. Are you doing that? Good. I’m here today to talk about death. Keep thinking puppy and it’ll be fine...

When I was young, many, many, MANY years ago, everything seemed endless. It was hard to imagine getting older, and if I ever thought about it, it usually involved me driving around in a very expensive car, telling my many very attractive and jolly wonderful friends just how I’d made my first million and after that, I’d pop off to Monaco. Or bob around in my spaceship. With Sheena Easton. Whilst being a meteorologist. Yes, I did have an odd childhood.

The reality has been a tad disappointing. Rather than losing at the roulette wheel in Monaco, I find myself looking at a tired bloke in the mirror losing his hair, whilst wondering why my hip hurts but I’m not ‘hip’, and how is it possible to have indigestion yet again?

Getting old sucks. Yes, there is wisdom. There’s that lovely bit of looking at teenagers and thinking, hah! I made that mistake, you’re going to regret that in the morning, sunshine. The problem is, you secretly still want to be them. Still, there are compensations – you can listen to decent music, rather than having to pretend you like everything on Radio 1, it’s OK to go to bed not long after 10, and you mostly know when to take a breather from drinking before it all gets messy. I know some exception to that rule, though. There’s none of that street talk to cope with either, innit, yo, s’up blood. 4real.

What really sucks is death. As a kid, all my Grandparents died (it had nothing to do with me, honest), whilst I was still pre-teens. Deeply sad, but hey – they were old, right? As a youngster, you bounce back.

The problem is, as you get older, each death takes that bit longer to bounce back from, until eventually you find yourself a little less cheery and joyful, a little more sanguine and a whole load mortal.

It certainly doesn’t have to be just reserved to those close to you. In the space of a few years, I lost my Father, and was shocked by the deaths of Freddie Mercury and Ayrton Senna. I knew neither of the latter, but was huge fans of all three.

As time goes on, more people you remember from your youth start to trickle away – My Mum has gone and, increasingly, TV and music stars from the good old days of your childhood start to go, most recently from my perspective was Davy Jones. And now one of our elderly neighbours seems to be slipping away from us.*

I know it’s inevitable (unless that stuff growing in the cellar really does have regenerative powers like the pixie told me), but it still sucks more that Tele Savalas with a catering size pack of lollipops, right? If you happen to have the comfort of religion (in which case this is just the bit you have to put up with before the Good Stuff), then it’s probably not such a worry. Mind you, I’ve seen some pretty sad people who do Believe, so it’s hard to tell.

So, I should try and follow my own advice. Life’s too damn short to put up with stupidity, rudeness and all of life’s irritations and complications. You can’t avoid all of them, and some days it feels like they’re being fired out of a canon at you as you wade hopelessly through a field of treacle whilst N-Dubz songs are played at full volume, but grab hold of those little moments of happiness and joy, and cherish them.

You never know how long you’ve got left.

(*Between writing this post and putting it up on Big Blogger, I’ve discovered that my neighbour has passed away. RIP Hazel. I promise I’ll try and keep the alleyway at the back of our terrace tidy, like it should be.)

Many thanks for visiting my blog here, and helping me to get through to the last 7. This was a largely cheerless post, wasn’t it? Sorry about that. I blame Pink Floyd’s “The Wall” album. Brilliant stuff, but not exactly cheery blog-post inducing. I’ll get back to the random silliness and ranting as soon as possible. I’m feeling a bit irritated about all the road works, actually...

This blog post appeared yesterday as an entry in the North West Evening Mail's "Big Blogger" competition. Do me a favour - click on this link to view it on their website, please? Thanks to your clicks, I've made it through to the last 7. Another person gets eliminated next Monday... Will it be me this time..?

(More and more and more ELO is still filling my brain, courtesy of that Argentinian radio show I mentioned. Lovely.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.