Skip to main content

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be


A recent discovery, of previously unseen family photos from 1973, had me fondly remembering the good old days.

Until I thought about it a bit more.

After my Mum died, we had the sad task of disposing of the contents of the house me and my brothers had grown up in. I wound up with several boxes of odds and ends, which I put in a cupboard, and hadn’t plucked up the courage to look at for nearly a decade.

When I recently opened one, I discovered a vintage slide viewer (you could tell it was old – it was actually made in England and it didn’t work properly) and a box of slides. To my surprise and delight, there were photos of me and my younger brother when we were small that I hadn’t seen before.

To give that some context, whilst some families were filming each other with Super 8 cameras, or reeling off endless rolls of film, photographic evidence proving that I haven’t always been old, hairy and tired is scarcer than rocking horse poo.

I sent them off to a company I found on the internet, and now have lovely digital versions of the images. Notes written in pencil on some of the slides show them to be from 1973. And what happy memories these warm-toned photos conjure up.

As I was impossibly young (not to mention cute) I was happily oblivious to what was happening around me at that time in my life, unless it involved Monopoly, Biggles books, or running around endlessly, falling off my bike and arguing with my little brother.

So I looked up 1973. It seems that whilst I was striking a pose for the camera, rail workers and civil servants were striking too, but in a different way. When I was contemplating jumping off a river bank and ‘bombing’ my sibling, the IRA were bombing London for real.

As I soaked up the sun, Pink Floyd were contemplating The Dark Side Of The Moon. And as I cooled down with a Cider Lolly, Last Of The Summer Wine was uncorked onto the nation’s TV screens for the first time.

I probably wasn’t allowed out of my road, but the three day week was just around the corner.

I was wearing hopelessly baggy shorts in some of the photos, whilst Dawn had decided to Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree. As my Dad smiled from his deckchair, someone in Whitehall was introducing VAT. And whilst my Mum hugged her boys tightly whilst Dad took a picture, Princess Anne was marrying Captain Mark Phillips.

I think my Dad owned an Austin Allegro, but not that year, as they’d only just been launched.

I suppose it’s just as well I wasn’t aware of the dark clouds overhead, as I enjoyed the summer sunshine. Otherwise, I might have grown up to be an embittered, cynical, cantankerous and grumpy old...

Oh. Right.

This column might first have appeared in the North West Evening Mail as my 'Thank Grumpy it's Friday' column, on the 29th of November. Unfortunately, it hasn't appeared on their website yet, but as it hasn't been updated for a week, I can only assume their web chap is on holiday, or sulking. As I don't received a print copy of the paper until tomorrow, I'm unsure if it has actually been included.

I sent them the same photo of a 6 year old me that you can see above, so they may have concluded that I've finally lost what little of the plot I still had, and dumped me. We'll see...

(Compilations, compilations... so many compilations! Tonight's is a Q Magazine free cover CD from July 1996, called "Mmmmm...")
xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi