Skip to main content

Game over - Click here to continue

This is it then. We find out tomorrow who the Biggest Bloggerist is, and who gets to write a newspaper column in the North West Evening Mail for the rest of the year.

Should I be fortunate enough to win, I have a few things/people than annoy me, so I should be able to keep going OK. Possibly for a couple of decades, if necessary. I get annoyed quite a lot. You probably noticed.

It’s been a strange week. I’ve had two interviews, both of which involved me having absolutely no idea what to say to relatively simple questions. For example “Why do you want to win?”

My answer went something like “Ooo. Ahm.... good question.. (long pause)... erm... That IS a good question.... er... well... (interminably long pause, interspersed with noises that sound like a brain on overrun) it’d be nice, wouldn’t it?”

For all the other questions, I believe the technical term for my responses would definitely include the words ‘babbling’ and ‘half-wit’, along with a tick in the box that has “Possible danger to society if left unattended” next to it, and a recommendation about making sure that the crayons aren’t sharp.

Then there was the photo-shoot. As myself and Darren haven’t actually crossed paths, I was required to stand, in profile, and stare at an imaginary opponent. Tricky. Then I was asked to convey, by means of my facial expression, my encouragement for readers to visit my blog so that I win. I haven’t seen it yet, but I suspect that one will look remarkably like I’m contending with a nasty attack of wind. And all this whilst colleagues looked on from a nearby window and wondered why on earth that scruffy bloke from the other end of the office was being “papped” like Madonna leaving a Botox clinic.

My image has appeared in a news article both online and in print. Even now, parents are using it to warn their kids about the dangers of not eating your greens, or possibly pinned to the wall opposite little one’s bedroom doors, to stop them getting up in the night and sneaking off for some secret lemonade drinking. Or whatever it is kids do in the middle of the night these days. Hack into the Pentagon, or maybe a spot of cyber-bullying.

The final count-up of clicks takes place tomorrow, and we’ll find out if me or Darren has won. He’s been a very worthy competitor, and if he wins, I’ll enjoy continuing to read his excellent posts, as I’m sure you will too.

This has been quite an experience for me – I didn’t know if I could write whole articles on anything other than Formula 1, or if anyone would actually find them amusing, other than my scrumptious other half, Jane. And I think she just laughs sometimes to get me out of the way so I stop interrupting another CSI marathon. I hope it’s not over, but if it is, you can find me at http://grumpyf1.blogspot.co.uk/ where I’m still pretending to be Jenwis Hamilbutton, and have actually figured out how to put pictures in things.

This whole experience has me pondering the idea of writing a book. At the very least, it would be good to shove under the leg of that wonky table in the living room. We’ll see – being intrinsically lazy and cowardly, that would be a real challenge...

If I win, then may your chosen deity have mercy on your soul. Me? Let loose with an actual newspaper column? Just think of the damage I could do! Mwahahahaha! MWAHAHAHAHA....

Did I say damage? I meant good. Obviously. *cough*
Respectful air kisses/blokey high-fives (delete as appropriate)

(A really quite scared now) Peter.

(This post first appeared on The North West Evening Mail's website on Monday....)

(Tunes tonight courtesy of Fleetwood Mac's "Greatest Hits".)

Comments

  1. Dear Peter Grenville
    Just to say how very much I enjoyed all your blogs in the Evening Mail Big Blogger. You were consistently funny and witty and you made me laugh out loud many times. I will enjoy following your blog on here (even though I'm not remotely interested in Formula 1 - and make my husband watch it on mute if it's on on a Sunday morning).
    Thanks for the excellent entertainment over the past weeks.
    Louise Allonby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise,

    Thank you! Very kind of you to take the time to comment - much appreciated. As you'll see from my latest post, there seems to be a chance I'll get a column in the paper, so fingers crossed we can get it all sorted out.

    Comments like yours, here and on the Big Blogger posts, really made it all worthwhile. Thanks again!

    Peter... or is it Jenwis again...?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi