Skip to main content

Bloody Hill!

Damon Hill is joining Sky's F1 team.

This pains me greatly. For possibly no other reason than the simple fact that I can't afford it, I don't like the fact the Sky will have all the F1 races live this year, whilst poor people will get half, and a whole bunch of extended highlights, on the BBC. Or less, in other words.

As you know, they blagged Brundle and kidnapped Kravitz, but Damon?

I'll let you in on a little secret here - he's still my favourite F1 driver. Battling his way into F1, working hard, remaining polite and refusing to bad-mouth anyone (even that pesky German chappie), dealing with the death of Senna and then finally winning a championship against his new team mate, Villeneueve, before getting shafted by Williams and winding up in an Arrows with the number 1 on the front.

Being resolutely high-tech, I watched a video tonight (well, there was bugger all on the box) of the highlights of the BBC's coverage of the Japanese GP from '96, where Damon bagged the title. Moving stuff, and ironically it was also the programme where the Beeb said goodbye to F1.

It was followed by a typically generous half-hour programme about Hill's career (I suppose we didn't have BBC 4 for that, then) and, on the same video, an episode of Clive Anderson All Talk, with Damon and Murray Walker. Damon came across as a consistently decent chap, whilst Clive was a smug git, to be honest.

There was also a trailer for Noel's House Party, some snooker and an episode of Star Trek: Voyager on the tape too, but I digress.

Damon to Sky? It feels like F1 with adverts, or a funeral service with sponsors.

I can't put my finger on it exactly... but it just isn't right.

I'm off to put my very faded Damon Hill baseball cap on, whilst looking forlorn...

(I sometimes forget how brilliant The Divine Comedy are - playing tonight is their ace 2001 album "Regeneration".)

Comments

  1. See that cap? That's how he is a millionaire. These ex F1 drivers can't see that us poor folk did contribute to their pension (a teeny tiny bit) and they have no concept of being unable to afford Sky. Pfft! Which reminds me, must get on ebay for a freesat box so I can get ITV4 and watch BTCC instead - poor person's motorsport! I'll be off to hill climbs next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a bit annoyed at how quickly the teams and drivers just lined up behind Bernie on this. Do they actually care, or is it just about the money?

    If I need cheap motorsport entertainment, I'll just watch the chavs in their souped-up Vauxhall Novas trying to impress each other around the village. I suppose I could listen to James Allen....? Expecially if I have a muderous rampage on the cards ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi