Skip to main content

Stepping to it is harder than you think

People in white lab coats believe walking 10,000 steps a day will significantly improve our health.

They haven’t mentioned what happens if you do more than that, but I’m hoping it’s not something terrible...

I tend to believe just about anything I see on TV and, from watching far too many scary episodes of Horizon, I came to the conclusion that I probably wasn’t walking enough.

Mind you, the number of walkers who get bashed over the head in ITV 9pm dramas is quite alarming, but it’s important to get things in perspective: Early heart attack, or moderate risk of getting brain caved in (possibly by David Tennant or Olivia Colman)?

Sure, I wander downstairs for breakfast, and then have to walk all the way out to the car to drive to work. I even have to get out in Ambleside to pick up a large cappuccino, and the staff car park must be a whole minute’s walk away from the office. I should probably be requesting company shoes.

But the doubt still remained. Was I getting the full 10K in? Probably close, I thought.

So I purchased a pedometer. It was pretty alarming, but I managed to install the battery eventually. I soon came to the conclusion that is must be faulty after wearing it all day (I even clipped it onto my underpants as soon as I came out of the shower in case I missed any paces out).

Less than 3000? In a whole day?

No. Way.

I checked the NHS website, which had this handy bit of advice: “Walking can be done almost anywhere, at any time, and in any weather. It's also a great way to get from A to B.” Really? Why did no-one ever mention this before? Good God – you mean you can actually use walking to get from one place... to another?! And at any time you like? That’s my mind blown.

Ignoring my somewhat footstep-free working days, I concluded that my weekend 5 mile walk would smash the 10,000 target a couple of times over. Nope.

However, walking to the shops and back, doing the weekend housework, putting a couple of hours in at the allotment, doing the 5 mile walk and all the other getting-from-A-to-B stuff that occurs, does. And some.

Having successfully achieved over 20,700 steps last Saturday, I found myself with several sensations taking place simultaneously 1) A sense of smug satisfaction 2) Crippling exhaustion 3) Footwear that can only be rendered safe by using fire.

With a bonus day off on Tuesday, I tried taking the long way round to the shops. I may have overdone it slightly, as it was 8.1 miles, and I lost an hour after falling asleep in the bath on my return.

Still, If I’m getting healthier, there just isn’t time for me to go to work any more if I want to keep my totals up. Shame, that.

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday column" in the North West Evening Mail on the 23rd of May 2014. You can view it on their website here, where it was retitled slightly to "Stepping to it is hard work". The text was, unusually, left unchanged and unedited.

Last week's column eventually made it to the website too, so that's encouraging.

I do enjoy a good walk. I'm usually on my own nowadays, so listen to some tuneage on my trusty, tatty, HTC phone. I find myself unexpectedly pondering all sorts of stuff, whilst occasionally injuring myself, falling over, or getting startled by wildlife or other walkers I hadn't heard approaching through the sound of whatever my most recent musical purchases have been.

(Talking of which... My recent birthday saw the arrival of some new CDs, including the Remastered version of Mike Oldfield's 1984 masterpiece "Crises". One of of my favourite albums, and in the earliest stages of me getting a new album from someone I'd discovered I liked, rather that buying an older one. Happy days of musical discovery...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi