Skip to main content

Remembering the day-oh

Thirty years ago you took O-Levels, Den was yet to serve divorce papers on Angie, you had no Neighbours and Freddie Starr was (allegedly) eating hamsters. Oh, and I went to the best gig ever.

Friday, the 11th of July, 1986. I was 19, and I had big hair. I also owned a very nice grey leather jacket, which I was paying for in weekly instalments to the lady over the road with the catalogue. The world was my oyster, although fish fingers were more my level of sophistication.

I had yet to try lasagne, had no idea why anyone would want a frothy coffee, and lived at home with my parents, who were distinctly unimpressed with my taste in music. Or possibly the volume.

What else was a teenage lad to do? Computers barely existed (IBM were just releasing the ‘PC Convertible’, a concept so radical no-one had thought of calling it a ‘laptop’ yet), mobile phones were the size of a brick, price of a house, and only did what their name suggested, and there are only so many games of Monopoly you can play with your brother. Especially when he cheats.

So music it was. Loud. Rock. And predominantly Queen. “A Kind Of Magic” had recently been released, and “One Vision” was my favourite song ever (and still is, in fact).

When ‘The Magic Tour’ was announced, me and my mates got tickets (£14.50!), and on the big day hopped in the car and drove to Wembley. We queued for ages, but at least got some free samples of a new chocolate bar, which – as my leather jacket had pockets – I got to carry. Did I mention it was rather warm? Yes, that worked well.

Legging it down the pitch, we got fairly close to the front and sat on the ground, as thrilled to be there as everyone else, chatting and reading reviews of the previous gig in the paper. The support bands were pretty decent; some new bunch of Australians called INXS, The Alarm, Status Quo – good stuff.

Then the long wait as it started to get dark. The tension built, and the opening of One Vision thundered out of the speakers before Freddie and the band exploded onto the stage. I was as happy as I’ve ever been. The whole concert was amazing. Even when it rained, we were so crammed in that only your head got wet. No-one cared, carried away by the excitement of it all.

Hits, hits, more hits. Flawless performances. Fabulous sound, amazing lights, giant inflatable cartoon characters of the band from the album cover floating away into the night (imagine a 40 foot Brian May landing in your garden).

Good friends, great time, no-one blocking your view with a brightly-lit phone screen. OK, the 2 hour queue to get out of the car park wasn’t great, but hey.

The leather jacket and (unfortunately) the big hair are long gone, but the memory isn’t. It was, and still is, the greatest gig I’ve ever been to.

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 22nd of July 2016, where it was retitled as "Recalling a day fit for Queen".

Of course, it was the following day's gig that's featured on the live album and video, although later DVD versions at least had "my" gig on there too. Sadly, Mercury's response to rumours that the band was about to split up; "We're going to stay together until we f**ing well die" turned out to be all too true just five years later.

I don't play Queen albums as much as I used to, but to be fair I don't play any albums as much as I used to. When one does make it into the CD player, I do find myself wondering why I don't do it more often. Rock/pop perfection.

(CD A:Z: Murray Gold's Doctor Who Series 8 TV Soundtrack. Orchestralicious.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.