Skip to main content

Fighting the fad food frenzy

I hope you’ve had a good week? However good it was, I had custard on Tuesday, so unless you won the Lotto, I reckon I win.

In fact, the only thing that could have made the week much better would have been to have custard on the other days too. I’m not big on making plans, but I think that’s an achievable goal for next week.

It’s been a heady seven days for proper, old-fashioned, food in our house too – we had some pork scratchings on Monday – admittedly, they were a bit “artisanal” (which I think means the pig was good at painting), gluten free, and therefore £1.45 for a very small packet, but we did purchase them in the food hall at a historic house.

I’ve come a long way from the budget version I used to consume with a pint down my local. They came in a clear bag sealed with tape, and it wasn’t uncommon to discover that the poor porker had met it’s maker before having a decent shave.

Still, two comfort food items from my past in two days is definitely an achievement. If I didn’t live beyond the end of the month, I could die happy. In fact, the levels of fat in both of those little delights has probably increased the likelihood of that somewhat.

It made a nice chance from the nonsensical barrage of poncy food that seems to be on every menu and in every supermarket at the moment.

At what point did someone decide that anything with caramel in it needed to be salted? How the hell do you come up with that as a plan?

Ring Ring: “Hi Dave! That caramel thing you produced is lovely, but we think it needs more salt. OK?”

“Um.... salt? Really? Well... if you say so.”

“Ha! Only kidding. April Fool! That’d be ridiculous, wouldn’t it? Dave? Dave? Damn, he’s hung up...”

Pulled pork is another one. We managed for centuries without needing to have our meat dismembered like an angry toddler had recently attempted to tear it to pieces with a fork. What next? Mashed steak? Distressed Trout? Lightly tickled pheasant breast?

I’ve even had a mint and lime sorbet which was so sour, the effect on my tongue was similar to the ringing noise you get in your ears after a loud concert. Everything I tasted for several hours afterwards seemed strangely muffled, while the aftershock left me briefly able to understand Sherlock plots – and nobody should be able to do that.

I will admit to being seduced by some of modern life’s food du jour, though. One of my greatest regrets is that I didn’t discover chilli hummus until I was 48. So many wasted years. But granola can go away, sushi can shove off, and quinoa can... er... quit it.

I’m founding the Custard Appreciation Society. Let’s make this country great (and custardy) again! Who’s in? Free Pork Scratchings for new members!

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 29th of July 2016. The paper retitled it as 'Enjoying time in custardy', which is the kind of pun I normally use. I think they're starting to get used to me after 4 years...

I did get somewhat excited about the idea of setting up a Custard Marketing Board spoof account on Twitter, and thought up a selection of somewhat daft and rude subject matter, including creating a hashtag for 'Custard Uses Milk!' Don't think about that, though. It's quite rude.

This one was fun and easy to write, and could have gone on for days. There are so many middle-class foodstuffs now, which seem to be permeating into everyday life like there's nothing ridiculously pretentious about me. Gah - it makes me want to throw my low-fat soya latte at the screen.

Maybe I should do a follow-up at some point. Go anything you think I should include?

Last week's Queen at Wembley '86 post performed rather spectacularly - in the space of a week, it's become the most viewed post on this blog EVER. The power of good rock music reigns supreme eh? 

Talking of which, delighted to see that ELO's best-of album 'All Over The World' has gone to No.1 in the UK - their first since my favourite album of theirs, 'Time', back in 1981. Well deserved. And I'm off to see them at Wembley next June. Coincidence? Probably, but a good one.

In case LinkedIn is your thing, I'm on there nowadays too. Not entirely sure what I'm doing there, but if you can bear to connect with me, I'm here Tell me you found me via the blog for bonus points! ;-)

(CD A:Z suspended, as I've got a new one for the collection that I'm giving a spin - '80's Romance, The Complete Belle Stars'. Jolly good it is too.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.