Skip to main content

Frozen song leaves me cold

I know I’m somewhat late to this particular party, but why is that ‘Let It Go’ song from the “Frozen” animated movie so popular?

It’s now over a year since Disney’s “Frozen” was released - just in time for Christmas, of course – so I’m not entirely sure why I’ve suddenly got myself all hot under the collar about it’s feature song. Maybe it’s that my central heating is on the blink, meaning the word “frozen” regularly spreads it’s icy chill through my shivering brain cell.

As many parents of young children will willingly attest, it is entirely possible to hear “Let It Go” far, far, too many times. As it’s sung by one of the lead female characters in the film, it resonates powerfully with children of the female persuasion, but also with many of their Mum’s too.

Sung so passionately by Idina Menzel it sounds like she might be about to injure herself, the song is an empowering statement of release, escaping the constraints of other people’s expectations of perfection, and setting yourself free, plus ‘souls spiralling in frozen fractals all around’. I’m not sure your average six-year-old is going to fully understand that last one. Come to think of it... neither do I.

Both the song and the film created surprising levels of controversy. Featuring strong, female, leads, you could rightly assume that it gives a very positive message out, but some Right-Wing Christians have a somewhat different viewpoint. They argue that “letting go” really means coming out, and that the film is a shocking piece of propaganda in support of homosexuality.

When central character Elsa is banished for having ‘magical powers’, and sings “I’m never going back, the past is in the past”, is she proudly announcing her previously suppressed sexual orientation? I’m not quite sure that everyone exiting the closet feels the need to build an ice castle, but maybe some more research is needed.

Then there’s the Whitewashing Controversy, whose proponents point out that the film features white characters only, and accuse Disney of racism. Largely perpetuated by social justice bloggers (who sound like they’d be fun at parties) and fervent fans of the film (ditto), it has raged online since the film’s release, meaning the 99.9% of people who think it’s just a cute animation with a feel-good reading that’s off the scale can easily avoid it.

So: cute and funny film about unconditional sisterly love, redemption, snowmen, a nice mountain man and reindeer (with catchy songs)? Or racist, homosexuality-promoting smut-fest, corrupting and indoctrinating our innocent children (with catchy songs)?

I’m going with the former, although I will confess I’ve only seen clips. A pushing-50 bloke with a beard, on his own at a children’s film, is liable to go down rather badly in this paranoid day and age. “Let It Go” is a feisty, catchy, sing-along tune from a very successful film that children and adults can enjoy signing together and interpret as they choose.

Me? Can’t stand it.

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 6th of February 2015. Once again, it hasn't surfaced on the newspaper's website so far, but if you want to keep an eye out for it (and see how old the last one is they actually did get around to posting), have a look on their website here

Odd one this. Having heard the song on the radio a few time recently (Radio 2 had been playing it over the Christmas period) I had the odd sensation of knowing it was a likable song, but I didn't like it. I suspect this is down to Indina Menzel - she has a strong voice and sings with gusto, but something about it grates for me. Can't fault her pitch etc., it just irritates me for some reason.

The only other example of this I can think of, where I like a tune but hate it at the same time, is Mike Oldfield's "Incantations" album. I'm a big Oldfield fan, but that's the one album of his that I find hard to listen too. Coincidentally, this is largely down to the female vocals on that album.

I guess my point here is this: It is quite possible to largely dislike a singer/band's output, in the same way it quite possible to mostly love their stuff. It's pretty rare to have a particular track that is the is the polar opposite of your usual inclination for that particular artist. Rarer still is the strange case of liking a song whilst simultaneously being irritated by something about it. Let It Go ticks that particular box for me.

(Tapeologism of tonight: A TDK AR90 - my tape of choice! - containing the Corrs' "Talk On Corners" album from '98. If I remember rightly, I purchased this particular album to use as the hold music on the phone system of my employer at that point in time. Sorry, The Corrs....)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.