Skip to main content

Who's next for Doctor's appointment?


As Matt Smith prepares to leave the role, speculation about his replacement as Doctor Who has mostly skipped the sublime, and gone straight for the ridiculous.

With the 50th anniversary of the iconic BBC television show just around the corner, Matt Smith has just the Birthday bash episode and Christmas special to go, before he’s consigned to the Who Who’s Who of history. The media have gone increasingly bonkers with their ideas about who might get the coveted position, with even shouting-at-drummers-Queen-impersonator Dame Helen Mirren allegedly in the frame. John Hurt has also been suggested, which is hardly a feat of time-travelling clairvoyance, as he appeared at the end of the last episode. As The Doctor.

Still, I’d like to throw my hat (and long, multi-coloured scarf) into the ring, as I believe I’m eminently qualified. I own an actual screwdriver, and I have some quite clever Apps on my phone, so I reckon I’ve got the whole Sonic Screwdriver bit well covered. I have some interesting quirks to bring to the role too: Grouchiness, loud shirts, a nasty cappuccino addiction (the character needs more edginess), and I’m fluent in Dalek. By which I mean I can regularly be found at my allotment screaming ‘EXTERMINATE!’ In a high-pitched voice as I try dismally to battle against my nemesis, The Dandelions. I’ve also got four compost bins that look a lot like Daleks, especially if it’s dark, and you’ve had too much to drink.

I have a bona-fide claim to Whovian fame too. The regeneration of Tom Baker into Peter Davidson was filmed at the BBC’s Crowsley Park in Oxfordshire, where my Dad worked. I’ve actually seen the shed Tom stood against, and apparently they made the control room look more futuristic by adding a flashing light, and some silver foil. It certainly fooled me. I was convinced my Dad could travel in time until I was 23. It explained why he was always wearing a green woolly hat.

My niece was bereft when the rather lovely David Tennant left the role, replaced by the “floppy-haired frog” Smith, but she was only going through the same thing most of us have – favourite Doctor withdrawal. Remarkably, anyone, even into their sixties, has probably experienced this. The show has been around longer than most of us, and continues to go from strength to strength since it’s regeneration into a show with decent special effects in 2005.

The general consensus on who lands the coolest job on TV seems to be that they’ll be female, or black, or both. Or not. It seems that only current producer, Stephen Moffat, really knows what we’ll get, and I’m pretty sure he’s saving that surprise for a bit longer. We’ll find out for definite in the Christmas special, although I suspect we’ll know before that.

One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back - probably next Friday. In the meantime, does anyone want a Jelly Baby...?

This post first appeared in my 'Thank grumpy it's Friday' column in the North West Evening Mail on the 7th of June 2013. You can read the version used by the paper here

They chose to rename it "Who's in for bash at top Sci-Fi role", which is obviously their call. On this occasion, I thought mine was cleverer... but being a smug Sci-Fi nerd doesn't get you anywhere does it? Definitely not within 20 feet of actual women, that's for sure. Somewhere along the line it lost 10 words, but I'm damned if I can figure out where.

(Tunes on this lovely sunny day are from They Might Be Giants, and the brilliant "Dial-A-Song: 20 Years Of". Stormy Pinkness!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi