Skip to main content

Disturbed by flashers


Some people would probably be quite pleased to be woken up in bed by strapping men in uniforms.

I wish to state, for the record M’lud, that I’m not one of them.

After my poor-quality cappuccinos and Health & Safety blighted weekend in Wales, I was looking forward to a nice lie-in on Saturday morning. After the trials and tribulations of yet another week of wearing outlandish shirts and pretending to know about marketing, I thought I’d earned it. Life firmly declared that I hadn’t at 3.45am, just as the first hint of dawn crept into my room (That’s ‘dawn’ with a small ‘d’. I have to be very careful with capital letters, as my Sister-in-law is called Dawn. It could get quite awkward).

The loud sound of an engine, and flickering lights, saw me clambering to the window as fast as my old bones would carry me. Had there been an arthritic tortoise present, he might well have got there first. As there wasn’t, I tentatively peeked through the gap in the curtains, just in case it was aliens. It wasn’t. It was a fire engine, two doors up our terrace. I may not have heard any sirens, but I definitely had my own alarm bells going off now. Would I have time to save my 1500 CDs? And the Mrs? What if there wasn’t time to choose!

By the time we’d donned dressing gowns and were stood in the chilly air on our doorstep, there were two of them. Our similarly under-dressed neighbour said she had heard an explosion, and the window of the house next door had blown out. The firepersonages weren’t looking too rushed, so after I’d surveyed the similarly bemused and bleary-eyed neighbours stood around in various degrees of bed-wear, I sensed my big journalistic break looming, but still felt a bit awkward taking a snap with the camera on my phone.

David Bailey has little to fear – as it was only just getting light, my phone camera focussed instead on the blue flashing light of the fire engines. The photo does look dramatic, but largely because it’s blurred and looks like everything is in motion. I blame the fact that I was conscious of my dressing gown flapping in the breeze and was trying to stop it billowing like a sail – there was already enough flashing going on, and quite a few hoses on display.

At this point, I remembered that, apart from the bed hair (annoying it can still do that, considering there’s so little of it), I was stood in full view in Japanese-themed, kimono-styled, attire, purchased for a murder mystery night in the early 90’s, and now, much like it’s owner, slightly faded with age and frayed at the edges. Still, I think I pulled it off with a certain panache.

It turns out there was no fire, but unfortunately an act of vindictive vandalism, and a broken window. Thanks, idiot.

There may have been no flames, but I did look damn hot. Oh yeah.

This post first appeared in my 'Thank grumpy it's Friday' column in the North West Evening Mail on the 28th of June 2013, where it was retitled 'Dawn excitement a flash in the pan' which only plays further into the sweaty hands of the Sister-in-law reference. On this occasion, I definitely think my original title was better. You can read the version used by the paper here It in fact only has the second, slightly risque, part of the flashing/visible hoses joke removed. To protect the innocent, assumingly.

(Fresh through the letterbox of Grumpy Towers this week was Sparks' "Extended - The 12inch Mixes (1979-1984)" - currently doing significant disco-based damage via headphones. Chuffing awesome it is too...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi