Skip to main content

Second thoughts


Staring at one of those spinning images on my computer screen, whilst something was loading (or was it? You’re never really sure, are you?), I started pondering how much of my life I’d spent doing just that. And it got me thinking.

Of course, once upon a time, in the dim, distant, dark ages of computing (so any time prior to last year, then), a spinning loading image was a handy pointer that you had enough time to pop off and make a cuppa, do a spot of hoovering, and – depending upon the complexity of whatever it was trying to load – maybe even have lunch.

Not now though. Things have moved so fast, that loading times have been dramatically reduced, so we need only spend seconds waiting. What was once considered miraculously brief is now considered more lethargic that anaesthetised sloth. But I’ve done the calculations, and I reckon I see that little spinning thing, in all it’s varied forms, at least a dozen times a day. Say... 5 seconds on average. That’s a minute a day. Doesn’t sound much, but that’s 6 hours a year lost! I could almost understand how to put together a chest of drawers from Ikea in that time. Or watch Groundhog Day three and a half times. Which would probably cause my irony detector to explode.

When you start considering things this way, it gets distinctly frightening. I’ve calculated that I spend at least 30 seconds trying to get into the plastic bag inside the new cornflakes packet without tearing it so badly I sprinkle breakfast cereals liberally all over my slippers in the morning. That’s a minute a month. 12 minutes in a year. Say I live to be 80, and deducting a couple of decades when my Mum sorted that kind of traumatic, life-damaging, thing out for me, and that’s half a day of my life wasted.

And what about that terrible moment of indecision at cash machines, when you aren’t sure which button the arrow on the screen is actually pointing at, and panic that you might be about to order a chequebook, and not cash with/without a receipt? Once a week? 5 seconds, maybe? Over 4 hours lost. That’s enough time to listen to the first 8 Beatles albums. Or one side of your average Prog Rock LP from 1974.

I’ve actually no idea how long I’ve spent staring into cupboards, drawers, and even the fridge, thinking “What the hell did I come here for?” And assumingly that’ll get exponentially worse as the years go by, too.

And what of the genuinely heavy stuff? I spend roughly 16 days of my life each year driving to and from work. Surely I should get a pay rise for that?

Right. I’m turning over a new leaf! I’m going to take back all the lost moments, and do something useful with my life! No more wasting time for me!

I’ll just check twitter first...

This post first appeared in my 'Thank grumpy it's Friday' column in the North West Evening Mail on the 3rd of May 2013. You can view the version published online here, where it was renamed 'So much time doing nothing'. I guess that explained it a bit better, but I thought mine was cleverer. Still... no-one likes a smart-arse, eh?

(Bloggage tonight accompanied by Supertramp's "Retrospectable" anthology.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi