Skip to main content

A Brave new world rises

I often think this country is rather odd, and that it would be far better if I got to rule it.

But what if there was a land I could rule? Now there is: Petieania has risen from the sea!

A few years ago, the shifting sands of Morecambe Bay began to reveal a small patch where the tide was depositing, rather than washing away. Just outside Travis Perkins and The Ship Inn on the edge of Sandside, it has gradually grown to a point where it even has some tufts of grass growing on it’s young surface.

After first observing it’s early attempt at forming a land-like appearance a few years ago, my visiting niece, Lucy, and I agreed that it should have a name, to give it a sense of purpose, as it battled the twice-daily eroding rampage of the incoming tide. Being an immensely selfish Uncle, it became Petieania, rather than Lucytania.

It was agreed that it should be defended against invaders, but lacking an army, we decided that guard albatrosses (or albatri, as we concluded the plural should be) would keep it free from those that may covet it’s sandy shores, and enviable position. I have seen a few Curlew’s wandering around on there though, so we may have to fire the gulls, and employ something more sturdy instead. ‘Defended by Herons’ has a nice ring to it, and they should certainly be able to see what’s coming.

Heading out for my customary walk last weekend, I decided to swing by my new Kingdom, and see how it was doing close up. Walking that stretch of the shore had become increasingly tricky, as the old footpath has been steadily washed away, leaving a drop of several feet into the muddy estuary an increasing likely scenario. Not this time though – Petieania has risen up nearly to the old level of the path.

As I stepped gingerly from the path onto it’s virgin surface, I found myself muttering “It’s one small step for a balding middle-aged man from Arnside, one giant leap for mankind”. (I may have briefly walked in an exaggerated slow-motion too.) It was firm underfoot. Tentatively, I walked across it’s surface until I was stood at it’s very centre, where a few tufts of greenery were struggling to poke their way through. This, I thought to myself, will be my capital.

After a few moments, I realised I probably looked like a bit of spanner to passing motorists, so I continued homewards, where I tweeted Lucy the good news. She replied pointing out that I should have planted a flag. Damn – why didn’t I think of that? Still, the Heron Defence League will keep it safe until I can return, triumphant, and plant the flag that will herald the dawning of a new empire!

Right then. Where are my colouring pencils? And have we got any lolly sticks?

This post first appeared in my 'Thank grumpy it's Friday' column in the North West Evening Mail on the 10th of May 2013. You can view the version used by the paper here where it was retitled 'Kingdom rose from the sea'.

Just one word got changed this week - the word 'spanner' was replaced by 'fool'. I know. Go figure.

(I have a fine selection of new CD's tonight, as it was my birthday today. Currently listening to a nice compilation called 'Cutting Edge 80s - The Alternative Sound Of The Decade'.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi