Skip to main content

Ticked Off

If you happened to have read my Big Blogger ramblings, you’ll possibly remember I have an allotment.

I have bad news – there’s been an invasion. After what can best be described as “minimal” help from the council, we still have a wall bordering woodland which is missing some essential elements. One of them is stones. The other 1000 or so are also stones.

This has meant that Bambi and his chums are free to wander into the allotment, where they find what must be akin to the M&S fruit and veg section of the deer world. Happily ignoring the rule book on what they supposedly eat, they’ve scoffed just about anything that grows, leaving me and my fellow allotmenteers counting the costs. And it’s been quite deer. (Sorry.)

This has led to an arms race of netting and poles, as everyone tries to divert the hungry masses away from their plot. We got the first strike in, and now half the plots are surrounded, leaving those working their patch looking like they’ve been caged. Passing birds must assume they’ve fluttered into some kind of human zoo. Ooh! Look at that one – it’s very brightly coloured! Look at how it scrabbles at the earth! Hee hee! Cute!

Unfortunately, the deer bring some teensy friends along to the party – ticks. These little gits can go for weeks on one feed... and they aren’t vegetarians. Like a microscopic cinema showing a tiny version of Alien in 3D, they burrow head-first into your skin, and leave their body and legs poking out, whilst they gorge themselves on your blood. Their cunning ploy is to be so tiny that you don’t notice them... until they’ve had time to get fat.

It would seem that I’m like a gigantic McDonalds as far as they’re concerned, as they’ve been popping by with alarming frequency for a McGrumpy and fries to (quite literally) eat in. They’re lovin’ it. Whilst I’m not aware of smelling like a particularly sexy tick, I guess it’s possible, hence their fascination with me. The more likely explanation is that, being a somewhat hirsute chap (steady, ladies) I’m like a Wacky Warehouse for the little tykes. Once they’re in the jungle, they might as well stop for lunch. It’d be rude not to.

To make matters worse, when you manage to extricate them (which isn’t easy) you wind up a day or two later with a nice red mark and a nasty case of the itchys. I’m sure some of my colleagues are finding increasing excuses not to come near me.

Allotments are dangerous places. Only last year my wife threatened to leave me after my 2 week courgette only diet (well, I couldn’t let them go to waste), and now tiny vampires are attempting to kill me, one infinitely small, annoyingly itchy, bite at a time.

Maybe I should take up a safer hobby. I hear blindfold naked knife juggling is fun.

Have a good, bite free, weekend.

If you can.

(This post first appeared in my 'Thank grumpy it's Friday' column in the North West Evening Mail on Friday 1st June 2012. This is the unedited version - you can view the printed/online version here
This post had a bit of a troubled time getting into the paper. As I knew I was going to be away on holiday I submitted it a week early. Unfortunately this bit of cunning advanced planning seems to have confused the good people at the NWEM, as I received a phone call from the head of HR at my place of work on Thursday night saying the paper were trying to get hold of me...

Some lucky phone signal/wi-fi hotspot/Android tablet shenanigans later and I managed to resubmit it, although I have no idea what the  paper's sub-editors decided to title it, as my copy of the paper has failed to materialise, so I haven't seen it in print. Complicated, huh?)

(Currently listening to "Innuendo Perform A Tribute To Queen". It's... how can I put this?... not great. I think I'll be consigning it to the charity shop bag.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi