Skip to main content

The End...

This is a bit weird.

I'm not a newspaper columnist any more. After submitting my foldy phones piece last week, I received an email saying The Mail are rearranging how they do things.

Going forward, there will be a weekly "On the podium" section on a Monday, where a particular topic will be discussed. One week will be local MPs giving their viewpoint, the next the current columnists.

Word count will be around 250-300 words (I was writing 400, originally 500, with that full-page period at 1000), so greatly reduced.

Disappointingly, I had to ask if they wanted a final column from me for this week, before the new section starts on Monday. I was hoping I'd have a chance to say a kind of goodbye after seven years of penning my column. But they didn't. So, just like that, I'm no longer a columnist.

In case they said yes, I wrote a farewell piece, so, for old times sake, here it is:

One last Friday feeling

Seven years ago, I was wondering what to write my first column about, having been kindly given the opportunity to pen a weekly column for the North West Evening Mail.

I’d come second in the Big Blogger competition, run to find a new columnist, and had somehow managed to not scare everyone off with my ramblings. The excellent Darren McSweeney rightly won and took on Monday duties, whilst I was granted the opportunity to bookend the working week with my slot. “Grand”, I thought. A great chance to write about anything I want.  

Barring the very occasional gap for a holiday, I’ve cluttered up your Friday on 355 occasions, first of all under the banner of “Thank grumpy it’s Friday”, before switching to “A wry look at the week” at the start of last year, and a heady four months of producing a full page of randomness, opinion and unnecessary alliteration, before settling on the current format.

Doing a bit of rough maths, I think that means I’ve taken something in the region of 200,000 words and rearranged them in an attempt to be coherent and (hopefully) entertaining.

It’s been a pleasure, frustratingly difficult, ridiculously easy, scary, and has involved many evenings staring at a blank page willing a good idea to pop into my head.

I’ve never lost sight of one thing though – it’s a privilege and an honour to be handed a space in The Mail with a brief to “write about whatever you want”, and I’m very grateful to everyone who helped to make that happen and has supported me – especially the lovely Mrs. G, who has read each and every one of them and told me they were great (even when some certainly weren’t).

That’s my final Friday fling done, then. Thanks for putting up with me all this time. 

I’ll still be giving my thoughts on a variety of subjects on alternate Mondays as part of a new section, and I’d love to hear what you think on the subjects being discussed.

Did I complain about Lewis Hamilton, wind chimes, roadworks and Audi drivers enough, do you think? Were there enough 1980s song references? And what am I meant to do with this notebook full of hastily scrawled ideas that never got developed?

Maybe I’ll write them into the movie version.

Over and out.

(Tape time: No 168 - a Queen compilation. I was obsessed enough in the late 80s to put together a series of cassettes containing tracks written by each member of the band. 168 is Freddie IV.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi