Skip to main content

Something is wrong with the weather

Lean in a bit – I need to whisper this. The weather has been really... quite good recently, hasn’t it? I know. Weird, right?

As someone who wanted to be a meteorologist whilst growing up, I find the weather pretty darn interesting. After our recent winter, even a met-nerd like me discovered the clouds had lost their lustre, the silver lining notably absent.

So with last weekend’s Bank Holiday looming, and having already had a lengthy run of lovely weather, I made the logical assumption; it would be cataclysmically awful. Rain, wind, maybe even snow and a miniature tornado to get the 24 hour rolling news channels all excited.

But it was, as I’m assuming you noticed, even nicer than before. Warm. Dry. Smashing. I have red marks on my arm from pinching myself to check I wasn’t dreaming. And it continued this week too.

To further enhance the distinct and unexpected pleasure this has delivered, it appears to have been cloudy, binning it down, and distinctly chilly in the south and London. Aw. Bless. That’s sincerely meant, and I wasn’t snickering. It’s.. ah... hay fever.

I had the immense pleasure of strolling around Arnside’s Open Gardens, in aid of the NSPCC. With good weather in the build up, they were tweaked to gorgeous perfection.

In one, where the lucky owner’s land extended into the edge of a wood, there was the most stunning display of wild garlic in flower I have ever seen. A blanket of white and green, highlighted by shafts of sunlight thought the trees. Breathtaking – and it smelt pretty awesome too.

Along the coast, there were families dotted around, with children playing on the sand, all floppy hats and over-sized sunglasses, building sandcastles, eating (and wearing) ice creams and flying kites.

For years now, I’ve had a nagging irritation – a dark cloud of my own. I can remember a time when I was little, when the sun shone, there were days out and fun, sandcastles and sandwiches, lollies and laughter, and it felt like it would last forever.

Life (and the realities of the British climate) slowly but surely crushed that sweetly misguided remembrance, until I, like many, reached the antithesis of it - a depressing assumption that whenever you want it to be nice, it definitely won’t be.

It will eventually ebb away, but for a few weeks, and significantly over a Bank Holiday weekend, the weather is like mini-me naively assumed it would always be. Fabulous.

And seeing everyone out enjoying it only adds to the thrill. Warm on the outside, and warm on the inside. There will be lousy weather again soon; it’s probably working itself into a frenzy over the Atlantic right now.

But the delight of what we’ve had has topped up my battery of weather-related happiness, after I had assumed the charger to be long broken.

I hope it did for you too. Use it to keep cosy through the nasty bits of both the weather, and life.

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 3rd of June 2016, where it was retitled "Weather's hot topic for me".

You can see a couple of the pictures of the amazing blanket of wild garlic with this post. It truly was breathtaking - at a couple of levels.

Remarkably, despite having spotted some heavy downpours north of us on weather radar today, we've remained dry and very hot.

Annoyingly, I've got a hideous summer cold, exacerbated by hay fever, but there's a yang for every ying, right kids?

Continuing a downward trend, May's stats show this blog to have received slightly less hits than in April, making it the lowest month since September 2011, which is disappointing.

I guess I need to write better stuff, eh?

(CD A-Z: Blind Boy Fuller - "Heart Ease Blues". Twangsome.)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.