Skip to main content

Harnessing your inner penguin

It’s warming up nicely, isn’t it? Soon, the cold of winter will be just a distant memory. But for me, the penguin (much like Celine Dion’s heart) will go on...

Whilst this weekend looks set to witness a temperature in Centigrade containing two digits for the first time in ages, last Sunday featured some sudden snow storms and general chilliness.

Timing my walk to perfection, I was part way up Arnside Knott when the snow came down soft and fast. I soon found myself in a small bubble of visibility, eerie silence, extreme slipperiness and a facial sensation that I imagine is like an ice bucket challenge on endless loop.

Despite the multiple layers of clothing and my usual, disgruntled demeanour, something deep inside me stirred. Cold, worried about slipping over, face stinging from the horizontal assault of iciness, the grumpy me battled momentarily with a deeply buried sensation before losing altogether, as my inner 10 year old joyously delighted at this sight of heavy snow falling.

I love Spring.
If this hasn’t happened to you for a while, there’s something very wrong with you. Yes, the annoying things about the white stuff make up a pretty long list, but your inner kid doesn’t do lists – they do sticking your tongue out to catch a snowflake and grinning a lot.

The warm, fuzzy feeling lasted until I was trying to descend, when I discovered that had I owned a slipperiness meter it would have exploded. Each step invited a spectacular flailing manoeuvre resulting in probable injury, or at least a very wet bottom.

And then I remembered something I’d read about adjusting your centre of gravity, by leaning forwards at the waist, so your weight over your feet as you take small steps, lessening the risk of slipping. A little later, I realised I was shuffling downhill steadily, quietly repeating to myself “Think like a penguin. BE The Penguin!”

My reward was a safe descent and stunning views as the sun broke through, revealing a landscape seemingly shrink-wrapped in low cloud and a layer of white.

The Penguin is pleased. The penguin commands you to have some cake. Obey the penguin.


Thanks, Leonard: I wasn’t old enough to remember Star Trek first time around, but my 70s childhood contained plenty of Kirk, Bones, Scotty and Spock, and my love of the series, subsequent films and all the Next Generations still continues, even if they aren’t on TV much any more.

But like an old friend thousands of miles away, you might not see then often, but they’re still an important part of your life, and trigger happy memories.

I was therefore saddened to hear of the passing of Leonard Nimoy last week, the actor who played Spock so brilliantly. The Vulcan science officer’s, logic, efficiency and seeming lack of emotion undoubtedly resonated with many a nerdy, geeky, socially awkward school kid like me. Leonard and his alter-ego helped make being different OK.

May his memory live long and prosper.

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 6th of March 2015, where it was retitled as "Snow shuffle is child's play", and received a few trims too. You've got the full text, but if you fancy a game of Spot The Difference, their version is on their website here.

In an unfortunate return to form, it seems to have gone straight into their archive section uncredited.
 
The DJ Spock picture above is from a T-shirt I had on my Amazon want list, but which rapidly became unavailable. I'm guessing copyright issues. I would have been delighted to wear that into work the day after Leonard's passing was announced, had I managed to get hold of it. Even if I have got a new boss, who I suspect wouldn't have found it amusing.

The snow story is all true, by the way. The only bit missing is the trouble I got into with my worried wife when I was late back. Hardly surprising really - it was slow going, and I did stop to take in the stunning views, which my crappy camera phone singularly fail to do justice to. You'll have to take my word for it, and imagine how great it would have been if you were actually there, instead of looking at my poor photography.

(*NERD KLAXON* Listening to the rather fab Doctor Who - The 50th Anniversary Collection. 4 CDs-worth of music from 1963 to 2013. Smashing.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi