Skip to main content

Thanks for your email – I’ve deleted it

When I returned from holiday to work recently, I had 180 emails.

I was chuffed, as I was expecting a lot more.

In the past, over 300 hasn’t been uncommon for a week away from the office. I’m assuming that, should I ever go away for more than two weeks, hitting four figures is entirely possible. I’ll then need another holiday to recover once I’ve cleared them.

A sense of creeping dread always accompanies the last couple of days of precious freedom, with the knowledge of the impending email marathon looming large on the horizon.

The fact that everyone you see during your first morning back asks how your break was, and allows you enough time to say “It rained quite a lot, and I caught Ebola...” before jumping in and asking what you’re doing about their email, doesn’t help.

Apparently, replying with “I reckon I’ll hit Tuesday before lunch, so if you sent it after that come back tomorrow.” is considered unhelpful, whilst saying “Email? I can’t even remember who you are.” is ‘unprofessional’.

Trawling through an endless series of conversations that have all resolved themselves, or getting cracking on a task, only to discover that “we sorted that. Sorry – didn’t I email you?” is a wretched experience we could all do without.

My colleagues could probably do without me going bulgy-eyed and spluttery too, come to think of it.

Guess what? German efficiency can help with this! Car giants Daimler have instigated a policy that allows their employees to choose: Come back to a metric motherload of mail, or have an out of office message that informs the sender their email is being deleted, and they can either send it again when you’re back, or contact someone else if its urgent.

This isn’t a rare case of our Germanic chums showing a sense of humour either. As you might expect, they’ve done some studies into work-life balance, and have the wellbeing of their workforce at heart, largely because a happy worker is an efficient worker.

Having discussed this idea with a couple of my colleagues (when I should probably have been reading last Wednesday afternoon’s emails), what seemed like a bonkers idea to start with steadily became of work of genius when scrutinized.

A large percentage of my emails are parts of an exchange that people thought I needed to know about. Great – send me the last one when I get back, or let me know the specific bit that affects me.

Another bunch of missives are the informational “Fire drill on Tuesday, photocopier broken, who licked my yoghurt?” ones – useless by the time I return (except maybe the yoghurt one, as I normally do that, so who else is?).

The junk mail offering to enlarge certain bits of my body, and general advertising, would be eliminated too.

It’s great idea – I could get straight back into the really important task of sending my colleagues loads of emails first thing on Monday.

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 22nd of August 2014, where it was retitled "Email influx sparks dread". You can view the edited version on their website here - it lost the 'needing a 2nd holiday' and 'bulgy-eyed' lines altogether in the edit.

This week saw me suffer one of my most irritating writing problems - whilst daydreaming on my drive home from work, I thought of several killer lines for a column, and then had to desperately try and remember them for the rest of the way home, eventually memorising one key word for each idea (Sorcerer, Manager, Lunch - if you must know) and then repeating those words in time to the music on the stereo. Remarkably, it worked.

I do carry a notebook with me in my man bag but, for some reason, the police find it irritating if you try and write stuff down whilst driving along winding Cumbrian roads.

(This post accompanied by "Blank & Jones present so80s 8", an interesting selection of 12" versions over 3 CDs, that I largely bought for Men Without Hats' "Pop Goes The World", but discovered a great version of Ultravox's "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" that I hadn't heard before, plus a track called "Gambit" by Cretu, which sounds very Enigma-ish, and is rather fab. It should do really, as he's the geezer in charge of Enigma.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi