Skip to main content

Whipping up a new taste sensation

TV posh-nosh-fest Masterchef is back on our screens, but whilst the C-List Celebs battle it out, I’ve been busy coming up with some much better culinary delights.

Inspired (as I often am) by the brilliant advice of my Niecelet Rebecca, I have thrown caution to the wind, and whole-heartedly embraced the idea of alternative flavour-combinations in a way that only the mind of a nine-year-old usually can. Or maybe Heston Blumenthal.

Rebecca concluded that a pizza that only had mango, pineapple, assorted other fruits and a few kinds of meat as toppings wasn’t really complete. The simple answer was chocolate buttons. Suddenly, it’s a taste sensation that would have Greg & John gushing enthusiastically about how Rebecca “has really taken cooking to another level”.

Whilst adding chocolate to just about anything will inevitably make it better, this fusion between sweet shop and pizza parlour got me wondering what I could improve.

In my small, twitter-based, universe it has been controversially established that Butterscotch Angel Delight is actually the true King of desserts from the 1970s (although there are still doubters in both the Chocolate and Strawberry camps who have sworn deadly revenge if I start that argument off again). Since the startling introduction of a make-your-own-ice-cream variety, it has become possible to enjoy the delight of angels in extra chilly form, but it occurred to me recently that, whilst divinely perfect, it was still just possible that the bar could be raised slightly higher still. Dare I take the whisk? Sorry, risk?

Nervously, I prepared a batch (five whole minutes of whisking!) and scoured the kitchen for the perfect addition. And then it struck me – HobNobs. The finest of biscuits, crumbled into the most luxuriously delicious of puddings. The rest of the series of Masterchef is cancelled. I’ve clearly won.

Emboldened by my innate, previously untapped, chefiness, other ideas began to mix themselves together in the oven of my mind. Bacon-flavoured wheaty snack wonder Frazzles, on pizza! No wait... Frazzles breakfast cereal! Everyone likes bacon for breakfast, but what if you can have wheaty goodness, bacon flavour and put skimmed milk on it? No cooking, just a healthy and delicious bowl of wonder. And the best thing is, I don’t even need to mess around inventing it, as Frazzles and milk already exist. Just put the two together!

Suddenly, anything is possible. It doesn’t matter what the rulebook says any more, tear it up and throw it out of the window. Or better still, puree it with some garlic and spread it on toast.

Roast chicken, stuffed with Jelly Babies! Mmmm. How about a beef and apple smoothie? Anyone want marshmallows, on a bed of Branston pickle, with a jus of Bovril, mixed with whiskey? (It would be too hard to pour otherwise, obviously.)

I am the new, less annoying, Jamie, Nigella, Delia and Dr Frankenstein rolled into one, genius level, super... Excuse me – I just need to pop to the loo for a minute...

This post first appeared in my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column in the North West Evening Mail, on the 16th of August 2013. You can view the version the paper published here - it lost about 40 words in the edit.

Good to see that the NWEM have sorted out the Blog page on their website - although I wasn't complaining that my Royal Baby story stayed at the newest one on their main page for a few weeks.

Another idea for this week's column was the tale of a character called Captain Hairy Bumchin, invented by Rebecca, me, and the fact that I do indeed have a hairy chin that looks like a bum if you squeeze it on either side. Not quite sure the discerning readers of Cumbria are quite ready for that. Not yet, anyway. I'm working on it...

(Music on an exceedingly wet day today courtesy of Robbie Willams' "Escapology" album.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi