Skip to main content

Fashionably unfashionable


I had the pleasure of attending my brother’s wedding recently.

Impressively, I managed to look like a tramp, even though I was trying to look cool.

You may remember that I recently obtained a new pair of glasses, after agonising so long over which pair to purchase that the staff at the opticians came close to offering me a bed for the night. Armed with my trendy new specs, I foolishly fell into the trap of thinking I’m now some sort of hipster.

Having attended many previous weddings, christenings, funerals and other important family events (with varying degrees of joy and misery, but not necessarily in the order you might think), I’ve done my fair share of suit, plain shirt and tie outfits. I’ve seen other chaps at events wearing a nice shirt and without a tie, and started thinking “Could I?” or occasionally “Won’t I look like a man who has forgotten his tie?”

Having concluded that this wedding was a great opportunity to go neck-naked, I selected a less loud than usual patterned shirt from my collection that even the visually-impaired could hear coming, and headed off to the happy event.

And jolly lovely it was too. The long-suffering Mrs G looked a million dollars, and both of the brothers (in their starring roles as Groom and Best Man) had the full three-piece ensemble going on, which was perfect for a day so hot, ice cubes falling from a drink had vapourised before they hit the floor.

I spent the afternoon feeling slightly smug, and enjoying myself as the trendy rebel – the only one brave enough to go slightly casual (except for the usual nutter who showed up in jeans and trainers of course – there’s always one). Even a moderate, but steady, intake of wine failed to remove the gentle glow caused by my brilliant Fashionista hipness (with a hint of sunburn).

By the time the evening was over, I was happily content that my look of suave, dashing cool, mixed with a hint of rugged edginess, had been a huge success, with me standing out from the crowd of clones as a shining example of middle-aged elegance - the sort of style that causes other men to think “Damn. I wish I was brave enough to pull off that look”.

The next morning, I looked on our camera. Instead of the me I was expecting, all the photos (especially those with my two immaculately presented brethren) showed a hobo-like character who looked like he’d just got out of bed, wearing a crumpled linen suit, loud shirt, daft pointy shoes and a scruffy beard for good measure.

I’d aimed to look like a well dressed intellectual star. I sort of got there, if you imagine Einstein without the hair, intellect, or theories of relativity. Or an iron.

Suit, plain shirt and tie next time, then.

(Should you wish to make me feel better and say “I bet you looked great, really”, you can find me gently sobbing on twitter as @grumpyf1)

This is the bit where I normally put that "this column first appeared in the North West Evening Mail, on the 2nd of August 2013", but unfortunately I can't, as it hasn't yet appeared on their website, nor have I received the print copy in the post yet. I'm reliably informed by the paper's rather smashing Amy Fenton that their web person is poorly, hence no updates in over a week. Keep an eye out for it here, where you can also read my fellow columnists, who include noted MPs, people with actual opinions, and my far-better-at-local-stories Big Blogger friend, Darren.

On the bright side, it does mean my column from the preceding week is still showing as the most recent one. My twitter plug has so far gained me one whole follower! Whoo! It also neatly took me up to the word count required, when I realised I'd already dragged the sorry tale of my wedding scruffiness out enormously, and was still under the recommended amount.

Exciting news! I've purchased 80p's worth of new notebook, for storing my somewhat random, incomplete and vague collection of ideas, thoughts, and mostly unfunny things in, for future use in newspaper columns. Expect considerable improvement from here (although, it theoretically couldn't get any worse, could it?).

(Mmmmm... bit of the Blues this afternoon, courtesy of T-Bone Walker, and his Stormy Monday Blues.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi