Skip to main content

You want me to do WHAT with my hips?!

I don’t own a leotard.

Or any leg warmers. Or a headband, ankle socks, or videos with the title “Get fit with...” in them. But I have been to a Pilates class this week. Kill me now.

I’m still attempting to recover from the physical, and emotional, damage. So how did I reach the stage of needing to purchase some joggy-type trousers, and finding myself lying on my back in a cold village hall thinking “I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to get my leg to...” *Crack* “Ow. No. Definitely not.”?

Having been discharged from the care of a physiotherapist last year, his recommendation was that I took up some gentle stretching exercise for my back, or spend forever looking like a hunchback, and frightening children by yelping suddenly.

Upon checking my warranty, it appears it ran out some considerable decade or two ago, and I therefore have to fix the problem myself, without being able to get a refund or replacement parts. Getting older would definitely suck, if I could lean forwards far enough to get to the straw.

After considerable persuasion, and a couple of flimsy-excused false starts, I finally went along to a session, attempting to remember not to call it “Plartees” out loud. If I was hoping for sexy-exercise video shenanigans, with attractive and shapely young women, I can confirm it wasn’t like that at all. True, I was the only bloke, but I reckon the eight ladies present were mostly older than me and, in some cases, by a long way. When you take into account how ancient I am, you can see how the glamour was slightly lacking for me.

Being in a chilly Cumbrian village hall in January hardly helped either. Still, it wasn’t long before I was being instructed to “Really open your legs and thrust”, which was coincidentally the point where I had to try really hard not to laugh out loud, but also revealed I’m considerably less flexible than at least four elderly ladies.

Hiding at the back of the hall, I was at least able to partially hide my embarrassment. It’s hard to look buff and sexy when you have absolutely no idea what you’re doing, no coordination whatsoever, and the agility of a three-legged tortoise with a permission badge to park in the bays right by the shelled creatures shop entrance.

To be honest, I’m not sure the instructor knew what she was talking about either. She kept mentioning the pelvic floor, but I’m pretty sure it was some sort of linoleum.

I feel like I’ve been trampled by a herd of elephants wearing hob-nailed boots, who then went back and got a steamroller, because they weren’t sure if they’d done enough damage. Still, by comparison to the rest of me, my back isn’t significantly more painful. The next session is on Tuesday. If I don’t survive, tell my family I was brave to the very end – the groaning was someone else, honest.

This column first appeared in the North West Evening Mail on Friday 15th February 2012. You can view the version used by the paper here

In another amazing moment of editorial bliss, both my title, and the full article, were used in their entirety. Awesome! Either that means I'm a literary genius, or they were busy and just plonked it in word for word. I'm guessing the latter is more likely.

For unknown reasons, the previous week's Chris-Huhne-is-a-bell-end article never made it to the main section of the NWEM's website, and languished only in the 'Archive' section, making it feel a bit like a CD in the 'Reduced - 99p or less!' section at Asda. Maybe I should stay out of politics.

(Amazing Queen CD on the go today - "Greatest Karaoke Hits". I know that sounds like a very bad idea indeed, but it's actually the ORIGINAL Queen tracks, remixed without lead vocals, and in some cases the balance is quite different. It also provides a fascinating insight into what's going on in the background. I like Queen. Had you noticed...?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.