Skip to main content

Randerings

I sometimes find myself pondering entirely random things.

I say “sometimes” – what I mean is “constantly”. And when I say “pondering” I really mean “failing to function as a normal human being whilst daydreaming about...”
Here’s a few of this week’s strange brain-sneezes, some of which have escaped as actual words, causing startled friends and colleagues to back away slowly, whilst maintaining eye contact and smiling.

Olympics closing ceremony and Spice Girls on top of taxis.

Be honest – would anyone really have been upset if the driver of the car with Posh on top had “accidentally” stabbed the brake pedal a bit too hard? Don’t say you weren’t thinking about it.

Manners from a 3 year old.

I had the pleasure of meeting a charming young lady for the first time on Saturday. Whilst we were having dinner, I asked her a question, and she pointed at her mouth, whilst staring me in the eye and continuing to munch her food. Apparently, you’re not supposed to talk with your mouth full. Shown up by someone who hasn’t had their 4th birthday yet. Damn.

Loss of identity on twitter.

Whilst trying to change my brilliantly witty Olympics-themed profile picture, something went hideously wrong, and now I have no picture at all. I’m still checking my hands regularly, in case I’m fading out of existence. It’s either that, or the restraining order from Kate Bush’s lawyers has caught up with me again.

Filling out forms.

I have discovered that there is a terrifying additional problem with getting older. You move into the next section on forms. I’m no longer 30-44. I’m 45-60. You have no idea of the level of dread this instills in the soul. I’ve started hankering after salmon-coloured trousers and wearing socks and sandals. Send help.

Cornflakes in a pot.

Microwave beans are lazy - Fact. Small plastic pot with a one-person-sized helping of cornflakes in? This is the beginning of end of civilization, people! How could you let it come to this! We’ve landed on the moon, for God’s sake! And by comparison to a regular packet, it was about 500% more expensive, too. It’s the wonga.com of breakfast cereal insanity. Stop it.

Office bingo.

Do you have an annoying colleague? Yes, you do – don’t lie. Write down all the irritating things they say on a piece of paper, photocopy it, and hand to colleagues for a nice game of bingo. It might be wise to suggest an alternative word to shout out, though. Hurrah! How do you spell ‘P45’?

Queen.

Scientists have announced the Brian May will still be performing guitar solos at major UK events until at least 2065, although by then his hair will be so white and fluffy, that the increasing risk of his head being mistaken for a cloud will mean that a 2 mile aircraft exclusion zone will need to be in place before he can play We Will Rock You with yet another pop bimbo.

Sugar rush vs Double-Decker.

Today I discovered that a can of Coke contains well over a third of you RDA of sugar. That got me pondering – what if you switched to Diet Coke, and then got hit by a bus advertising Coke? Would that count as ironic?

Have a, randomly, good weekend.

If you can.
This post first appeared in my 'Thank grumpy it's Friday' column in the North West Evening Mail on Friday 17th August 2012. This is the unedited version - you can view the printed/online version here: "Forms expose my new age bracket", was used as the title by the NWEM, and it received a very harsh edit this week - down from 550 words submitted by me to 357.

To be fair, I already knew it was over-long (500 words is what I'm requested to supply), and I'd already suggested that they drop a section if necessary. So they dropped the last 3! So here's the whole thing, including the missing office bingo, musings on Brian May causing flight problems, and the hard reality of Coke.


Oh, and "Randerings" is a shiny new word, merging "Random" and "Ponderings" into a frightening bastard hybrid, whose very existence has probably caused staff at the OED to suddenly feel edgy without knowing why.

(Music today by Marillion, and their 2007 album "Somewhere Else".)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi