Skip to main content

Not feeling it... literally

1745.

That’s how many CDs I own. Yeah... that is quite a lot, isn’t it? Whilst prices vary enormously, at a rough estimate that means I’ve spent around £10,000 on music. Of course, that ignores the cassettes, CD singles, and vinyl 7”, 12” and albums.

If only there had been some handy way of just paying a sum each month and listening to whatever I wanted – I wouldn’t have a wall full of shiny silver discs.

Just to depress myself, let’s assume a streaming music service (like Spotify) costs £10 a month. On that basis, I could have used it for 1,000 months for the same outlay as the CDs alone. Or about 83 years. Ah.

Still, there’s something nice about having a physical product, and I’d always presumed I was the righteous one – until I got the calculator out a couple of minutes ago.

For those of you fortunate enough to be growing up in the time of streaming services for music, and video content, you can get just about anything recorded, ever, to enjoy whenever and wherever you want.

A youthful colleague at work told me today that she hasn’t purchased a CD or DVD for more than a decade. I purchased a CD last week.

It seems I’m part of endangered species - more was spent on pay-as-you-play in 2018 than on stuff you can hold in your hand and shove in a player. 62% of money spent on music went to subscription services, whilst video on demand took 55%, according to the Entertainment Retailers Association.

Music and movies weren’t the first to reach this tipping point either – they were beaten to it a few years ago by the gaming world, and the monthly fees gamers pay for online multiplayer fun.

Even within my own family I’m the dark-ages sibling – both my brothers use music streaming services, and donated/ebay-ed their physical formats years ago.

I have to scan the racks to track down the particular album I want, or remember that a track is on a particular disc, then load and listen. It’s pretty tricky for me to shuffle my favourites too, although it would probably be good exercise – my collection is currently in a different room to the player.

Maybe it’s finally time I went digital and ditched the discs. I could have a fresh coaster for my cappuccino every week for the next 28 years.

This post first appeared as my "A wry look at the week" column, in The Mail, on Friday the 8th of March 2019. The version used on their website was re-titled as "Is it time to ditch the discs?". Good title, actually. Why didn't I think of that?

It's 1747 now, by the way. The two that have expanded the collection yet further are KT Tunstall's "Wax" and Within Temptation's "Resist". Will I NEVER learn?

(Tape time: No 094 - a sterling collection of recordings of mainly white label 12" singles, from when my friend Dave's mum was dating a DJ, who got 2 copies of records sent out by a label, but after moving out one set still arrived. Includes Talk Talk (mentioned just last week) Gloria Gaynor, Matthew Wilder and the brilliant "Self Control" by Raf - which is miles better than Laura Brannigan's version, but wasn't a hit. Phew. Carry on.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.