Skip to main content

A life less linear

Big news as we plunge, screaming, towards a Brexity, Trumpy, 2017 with no idea how to stop - I’m obsolete. Technology has finally beaten me.

It was inevitable, really. I’ve previously stated that people who don’t file their music alphabetically (by surname) are destroying the very fabric of civilised society. I’ve no desire to Snapchat. There’s still a radio/cassette player in our kitchen that is ‘digital’ in that you have to use your fingers to press the buttons.

I’m trying hard to adapt to the fast-changing, technological, future that’s bunging a new and baffling development in my direction on a daily basis.

For instance, we recently got one of those TV stick gadgets that allows you to stream programmes via the internet. Very clever. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting about it. You can’t see it, the remote is so small it’s hard to find and none of the programmes are in the TV guide that we buy each week, then circle what we want to watch with a biro.

There are masses of TV shows I can watch a whole series of in one sitting, if I fancy it. It’s like going into a sweetshop and eating all the chocolate bars in one go – it sounds great, if feels good for a while, and then you start feeling a bit weird and dizzy.

Even worse, as we’ve decided to replace our ageing car, it turns out more recent ones only have a digital radio and USB port. It seems like yesterday that I argued with a dealership about how I wanted a tape deck in my one and only ever new car, when it came with a new-fangled CD player.

Now I can’t even have that. If I want to listen to my own music, I’ll have to download an app to my phone, connect it with a USB cable, or Bluetooth, and play it from that. My phone has pretty good memory capacity, but I don’t think it’ll hold all my 1681 CDs.

I’m not sure I even know how to make it play all of an album in order. It’s permanently on shuffle, which makes listening to concept albums a frustrating experience.

Currently, I jump in the car, pop a CD in the slot and away we go. I’ll soon have to put the phone in the cradle, connect the USB cable, plug it in, open the app, and... well, it’s all a bit hypothetical after that.

All I really want for Christmas is to be able to shove something physical into a slot and have the Electric Light Orchestra come out of the speakers, without the need for a degree in programming and the type of technology astronauts use.

And finally...

Thank you for not bombarding the North West Evening Mail with requests to have me removed for another year – you’re really rather lovely. A very Happy Christmas to you and yours.

See you in the weird gap before New Year where the mince pie allergy kicks in.

This post first appeared as my 'Thank grumpy it's Friday' column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 23rd of December, 2016. The version used on their website was re-titled as "Technology has finally beaten me". 

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas? We're currently attempting to cope with the shock brought about by the failure of our PVR box thing, taking with it a month's worth of stores programmes and the ability to record anything. We're actually having to watch programmes live, and miss some altogether. I. KNOW.  At Christmas, too.

That CD count is now out of date too, thanks to Christmas presents. Now 1688...

(CD A-Z: Marillion's "Popular Music")

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi