Skip to main content

A very modern malady

Hello. I’m Doctor Grenville, and I’m here today to talk to you about SSS – or “Sad Selfie Syndrome”, to give it it’s full medical name.

I’m a fully qualified medical doctor thing – I’ve got a PhD from Queens University Academy College Kendal (or “QUACK” for short) to prove it. That means it’s OK for me to talk to you about a very sensitive subject today and stroke your knee. Soothing, no?

In my many years of medicinalising practice, I’ve come across some terrible afflictions. I’ve seen Achey Breaky Heart, Kneesles (where you get an itchy rash on your kneecaps) and even a very rare case of the Mercedes Benz.

But recently I started seeing shocking images, on social media, graphically showing the devastating results of SSS. If you haven’t heard of it before, you’ve almost certainly seen pictures of what happens to the victims, who are mostly under the age of 30.

We’ve already come to understand the irrational, overwhelming need for some amongst this group to photograph everything they do and post it on Instagram or Twitter, including such bizarre behaviour as taking pictures or videos of themselves reacting to an “epic reveal” on their favourite TV show, eating something strange, or, in the most extreme cases, simply because they happen to be awake.

A flat battery, loss of phone signal or a slow wifi connection have been known to send some sufferers into a state of panic that, mercifully, usually only lasts about as long as their attention span.

Many of these selfies seem to also show evidence of severe facial muscle contractions, known in medical circles as “Duck Face”, where the afflicted seem to be attempting to pout their own lips off in a desperate attempt to look sexy or cool.

When I took my Hiphopcractic Oath, I swore quite a lot because I’d just got a nasty paper cut from the certificate. I also promised that I would do whatever I could to help, but I fear SSS may be an incurable mutation set to devastate our young.

Upsetting images show SSS sufferers receiving bad news, who are often tearful, but still have the presence of mind to take a selfie and share it to show just how upset they are.

I’ve even seem images where the sad person has not only snapped themselves whilst crying, but also got their friend to take one too, just to make sure they had a close up, and a wider shot to show themselves looking forlorn in-situ.

They need our help. If you can spare £5 today, please send it to me in a plain envelope, and I’ll do my very best not to spend it on a chocolate muffin or extra large cappuccino. £10 could really make a delicious. Sorry - difference. Thank you.

If you have been affected by any of the issues in this item, please Instagram a photo of yourself looking upset about it now. Or, alternatively, put your phone down for a moment and get a bloody grip.

This post first first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 29th of April 2016, where it was retitled as "Snap out of selfie habit".

If I did have any audience that were born this century, then I've almost certainly lost them now, haven't I?

Just to prove what a fickle thing the internet can be, in the space of two months I've crashed from the highest number of monthly views ever, to April achieving the lowest figure since September 2011. Such is (online) life, I guess.

Apologies for the lateness of posting this. Should anything interesting come from the reason it was delayed, I'll let you know...

Enigmatic, no?

(CD A-Z - we're reached F! Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" is getting an outing this surprisingly warm afternoon.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi