Skip to main content

A tweet-up for coffee

It’s amazing the interesting characters you can meet when you stop for a cuppa on a long walk. Last Friday’s was particularly unusual...

Whilst you were pondering why anyone would choose to write a newspaper column about their new phone, last Friday I was up bright and early for a 7 mile walk, and already a comfortable distance from home by the time I would normally have been arriving at work to an aura of impending doom emanating from my email InBox.

3 miles in, I decided to reward myself with a cappuccino at the local garden centre, and was first through the door for a rejuvenating cup of caffeine and frothy cow juice.

So rapidly had I completed the first part of my journey that I had the pick of the seats, and opted for one outside. Having overdressed for the conditions as usual, a bit of cool, fresh, morning air seemed like a good idea – that and my paranoia at several staff all staring at me if I stayed inside.

I had only been sat down long enough to realise that the stabbing sensation I was experiencing was keys in my back pocket, when out of nowhere I was joined by a slightly scruffy stranger, wearing a bright red top, and clearly with no concept of personal space. There were loads of free tables – why my one?

We stared at each other for what was probably seconds but felt like hours, whilst I assumed the uninvited guest would simply up and wander off. Instead, he just stared at me, unblinking.

There was something about him which seemed very familiar. Had I seen him before in the winter? After a while, I politely asked “What do you want, then?” It seemed like a reasonable question, but the occupant of the chair next to me just stared back.

10 minutes passed. We were still just looking at each other, whilst my hard-earned coffee slowly went cold. In the end, I had to mutter “I’m just going to drink this, OK?” and grab my cup for a sip.

Not quite sure what to do next, I picked up my phone to have a look at Twitter, painfully conscious that my mystery partner was just inches away from me. At that very moment, he decided to start tweeting too, whilst keeping a watchful eye on me.

I already felt more relaxed that when we had first met just minutes before. He seemed harmless enough, and to be fair, he could sit where he wanted. Maybe he lived here.

Finally, some more people arrived in search of an early morning brew, and my new friend left as suddenly as he had arrived.

Still, I guess I should be honoured. It’s not every day you’re given a private audience with Robin, Britain’s National Bird. I suspect he was more interested in the possibility of some crumbs than my company, but it’s nice when someone sings you a song without being asked.

Thanks for keeping me company.


This post hopefully appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 26th of May 2015. It's now a month since any of my columns have shown up on their website, and I haven't seen the print edition yet, so... who knows?

I'm not alone though - their Columns page hasn't been updated since the start of the month. Keep an eye out for updates here, if you fancy. I'm not going to make you or anything.

I did enjoy my Robin encounter, and haven't embellished it - I could have touched him, he was that close. I guess he's used to hanging around for delicious crumbs or unattended leftovers. A bit like me at a buffet.

In an interesting development, the NWEM have asked m to supply a new picture for my column header, so soon you won't have to look at a 3 year old photo of me, but can usefully determine how much older and balder I look. Who knows - if we keep this up, one day you'll be able to cut them out and make a small flip-book and watch me get old before your eyes, a bit like I have to every morning in the bathroom mirror.

(Creeping towards the end of the CD singles collection, with a spot of White Town from '97. From the "Your Woman" single, I'm currently getting all 90s glowstick-y to "Theme For A Late-Night Documentary About The Dangers Of Drug Abuse". Woo! Yeah!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.