Skip to main content

Christmas leftovers – second helpings

Welcome to 2015!

Don’t worry – no-one can legally make you eat a sprout again for another 11 and a half months.

I hope you had a lovely Christmas and New Year and that those you love managed to stay the right side of a lethal dose of chocolate.

Ours was up and down; The microwave blew up (if ‘microwave years’ are like ‘dog years’ it was 168) and the curtains fell down, taking the pole out of the wall in the process; possibly due to the metric ton of cold-insulating lining.

As you’ll have probably had enough of repeats on the TV, followed by repeats of the Christmas Specials before 2014 had staggered to it’s end, here’s the other part of the compilation of entirely new bits, left out of columns last year, to keep you entertained until something better comes along.

No, thank me later – I accept all forms of credit card, but I prefer cash.

July: I’ve seen photos used on new identity cards by vain colleagues that are clearly so old, I half expect to see a TV in the background showing the moon landings, with ‘Live’ in the corner.

August: Whilst watching the news, I’ve come to the conclusion that, for some of my fellow countrymen, if brains were teeth they’d be sucking their lunch through a straw... once they’d worked out which end to use and stopped nibbling it in the middle.

September: When did manufacturers stop making comfortable underpantage? I’ve just purchased some new boxers and they feel like they were made by someone with a grudge against men. I’ve not had any comfy downstairs garments since the ‘90s (or ‘the last time I purchased underwear’, as it’s also known).

October: Apparently there will be a new £1 coin in 2017. Whoa there, speedy! I’ve only just got used to it being a coin, rather than paper! Why can’t they just wait until all us older people have died?

November: Almost time for the non-stop ‘Weather Warnings’ from the Met Office. How did we cope before any dodgy weather got a colour-coded, terror-inducing, alert? Oh, that’s right – we watched the weather forecast and made startling deductions for ourselves like “Snow? Wow – might be a bit tricky on the roads” or “Windy? Maybe I won’t go out for drive in my very high-sided and completely empty lorry”.

December: These legal proceedings have taken so long, I have a back-to front QWERTY imprinted on my temple from banging my head on the keyboard in frustration on a daily basis. I probably ought to sue for a new keyboard, too.

And there we have it. Just like the seemingly never-ending supply of cheese in the fridge you purchased mid-December, everything has been used up, with only a moderate dose of feeling sick.

I hope the year treats you well. Should it fail to do so, let me know and I’ll have damn good grumble about it on your behalf.

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 2nd of January 2015.

It seems to have been used in it's entirety, including the title, and actually made it to the website as well - you can view it here

Currently pondering the fact that I'll be back in the office on Monday. Despite being off for a week and a half, I can't really pinpoint anything specific that got done, with the possible exceptions of consuming a swimming-pool's worth of cappuccino, and putting on about 4lbs from lazing around on the sofa eating chocolate.

Still, I've got a whole year to recover from that, unless the Lotto numbers come up tonight, it which case I suspect death by caffeine/chocolate overdose will have occurred by about June. Nice.

(New year, old tech. Listening to a cassette of Oasis' "Be Here Now, recorded in 1997.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi