Skip to main content

No longer a nail biting experience

People who bite their nails – they’re weird, right?

Strange, nervous, creatures with a disgusting habit. They should just stop it.

Like all long-term habits, quitting nail biting is far more difficult than just suddenly packing it in. Unlike smoking, alcohol or drugs, there isn’t any chemical dependency, but the addiction to nibbling is still difficult to kick.

I should know – I quit smoking after more than 20 years on the cigs, but this is proving to be a much harder battle to win. Unsurprising, really, when you think about it. I didn’t start smoking until I was into my twenties, but I’ve been biting my nails for as long as I can remember. I have no recollection of starting to do it, or even having ever thought about it much.

It’s an easy habit to continue too – no matches required, you don’t have to pop to the shops to get more and it’s entirely free. The only cost is the crippling inability to get a starting point when trying to peel a label off something.

But I’ve had approaching five decades to get used to that. There are tougher things to deal with, especially if you’re left-handed and have to try and use a pair of scissors designed for the opposingly-handed majority.

So, being a serial chomper, I must have experienced a life filled with abject terror and crippling stress to drive me to such extremes, which sometimes include going so far as to draw blood, yes? Well, no. Never having known anything different, it was very much my ‘normal’. Having said that, I’m aware of the annoyance it causes others, and I’d have been a rubbish Goth without much to paint black.

But here we are – I’ve currently got nails protruding beyond the cuticles of my fingers for the first time, after a couple of weeks of superhuman effort and restraint.

It should be wonderful, but I’m struggling. How the hell does anyone type with these solid bits sticking out and hitting the keys? My already pretty poor standard of typing has now fallen so far, monkeys with typewriters are more likely to successfully type an error free line than me.

The simple act of scratching an itch has become a terrifying game of roulette, where my chances of substantial blood loss have reached an alarming level. This morning I nearly lost my vision trying to rub the sleep out of my eyes.

I’m getting scared to touch Mrs G, as I now have an arsenal of dangerous weaponry and not the slighting awareness of the catastrophic damage it can do.

Having to adapt to what most of the rest of the planet have been doing their whole lives is proving quite stressful. If there was only something I could do to help alleviate that...

On the bright side, I’m really enjoying the ability to show my impatience in meetings by drumming my nails on the desk.

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column in the North West Evening Mail on the 21st of February 2014. You can view the version used by the paper here although the only difference you'll spot is that they went with "20's" instead of "twenties", and even duplicated my odd use of the word "slighting", which I typed meaning "slightest" and despite two proof-reads, missed altogether. As did they!

An alternative title to this column was "No, More Nails" which I reckon was better, but less likely to have been used by the paper.

And yes, I am still resisting the very great urge to nibble, and may actually have to consider trimming my nails soon. It's hard to put into words what an odd sensation it is actually having fingernails, and all the odd little things that I'm having to alter because of it. For instance, I now get soap under my nails when having a shower in the morning, and have to remember to clean it out. I know - earth shattering, no?

(Compilations continue, with the the rather excellent "Rewind - The Best In Music And Video", a nifty concept of 2 CDs and a DVD, featuring mostly 80s hits.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi