Skip to main content

The Onesie Show

“Hi! Welcome to the Onesie Show, with me, over exuberant Welsh lady, and him, manic DJ who can’t stop talking. Well, have we got a show for you tonight..!”

Ever since they first started appearing a few years ago, I have been one of the stalwart, old-fashioned, types who stood up and declared that the onesie was the single biggest threat to humanity since Big Brother hit our TV screens.

For hundreds of years, this great nation has done perfectly well with a nice pair of pyjamas, or a nightie (depending on your gender, or preference. I find nighties get tangled up when I... We’ll move on, shall we?)

I suppose the thing about the onesie that really got to me was not the garment itself – if you want to wear an oversized baby-grow of man-made fibre in the privacy of your own home, that’s entirely up to you – but the fact that it has been seen outside of its intended environment, with people actually think its OK to wear them to the supermarket, or drop the kids off at school.

Its one short, fake-fibre enshrouded, step from that to the collapse of civilised society as we know it. I fully expect to see shocking scenes of riots in deprived urban areas on the news any day now, with hordes of rowdy youths looting stores, setting fire to cars and hurling bricks at the police, whilst dressed from head to toe in a synthetic fleecy material, in a terrifying maelstrom of disgusting colours and patterns.

It’s only fair, therefore, that I come clean and admit to having purchased one recently. I feel I can still hold my head up relatively high though, as I have subverted the concept by buying the most ridiculous one possible, with the sole intention of wearing it for a fundraising pyjama day at work.

True, it didn’t actually arrive in time, and I was pretty much upstaged by our head of HR in a jazzy pink fluffy thing, but I wasn’t going to let that deter me.

Delivered to work, I was able to join in the fun, just one day late, and unannounced. My outfit, which I suspect was designed with a 5 foot Japanese Cosplay enthusiast in mind, turned me so convincingly into a bat, I was able to swoop silently upon unsuspecting colleagues, rising silently up behind dividing screen, with my hoodie with a face, ears, and fangs on display, before stealthily spreading my red, felty, wings and vanishing mysteriously along the corridor.

Standing outside and slowly appearing at colleagues’ windows was also particularly effective, if you enjoy seeing people jump about a foot in the air. Which I did. Enormously.

Unbeknown to me, the large gap between the buttons down the front meant I was possibly displaying slightly more than just my sense of humour.

The unfair dismissal hearing is next month.

This post first appeared as my "Thank Grumpy it's Friday" column in the North West Evening Mail on the 25th of October 2013. They changed the title to "Giving in to the lure of the onesie", but otherwise left in unaltered - you can see it on their website here

I'm pleased that my outfit brought a smile to the faces of a few of my colleagues. Times are tough at the moment, and I've been wondering how much longer I might actually be there, so a moment of lightness made a nice change.

Amazingly, this is the 500th post on my blog. In the early days (nearly 4 years ago) I posted more frequently, and more about F1, and it's surprising to me how much things have changed in that time. Having finally stopped running my Fantasy Formula 1 competition after many years, and with the unforseen experience of writing a newspaper column, plus my joining of twitter, what I write about, when, and where, not to mention how much, has changed beyond recognition.

Many thank to everyone who continues to read what I post. Knowing someone is taking the time to read it is still a source of constant surprise to me.

(Fantastic 6 CD box set on the go at the moment, called "Best of the Eighties", which has big hits, but also some great tunes that didn't score as highly in the charts.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi