Skip to main content

How can we not help you? Welcome to customer disservice

One of these sofa, please - do you do it in "heavily delayed"?

“The customer is always right”, the saying goes. 

That may well be true, but it would appear some well-known companies are unable to remember that.

I’ve encountered two fine examples of big names getting it badly wrong recently, both of which left me considering switching allegiance and frothing at the mouth.

First to get their logo emblazoned boldly onto this particular wall of shame is energy supplier NPower. They’ve struggled badly in the past with customer service, regularly appearing way down the rankings when it comes to keeping their punters happy.

I still have decidedly un-fond memories of calling them up to change tariffs, then repeatedly having to call them months later as they still hadn’t switched my account and were charging me a higher rate.

My current beef revolves around the amount I pay each month for the honour of receiving gas and electricity from them. I have an old house, which guzzles both supplies like they’re going out of fashion. I therefore need to pay a sufficiently large amount each month so that I build up a bit of a buffer by the time the even-chillier-than-usual winter months roll in.

So, what did they do? Refunded me £103. Then informed me they estimate I’ll owe them £101 by the time my next bill is due. Bravo. I’m presuming you have vacancies in your Rocket Scientists department.

We move on to John Lewis next. Usually very good, a recent purchase of lounge furniture highlighted that keeping your customer informed of what’s happening is a sensible thing to do to avoid annoying the hell out of them.

On Christmas Eve, we spotted something in their furniture clearance sale that was just what we wanted. Sofa, so good. We didn’t buy it on the spot (we felt bad about upsetting our vintage settee over the festive season) so rang the next day. They could deliver it, free of charge. Lovely! Someone would be in touch to arrange a delivery date.

Four weeks later, the silence was deafening. I rang, and a lovely lady agreed it had been a long time. Despite being on hold for 15 minutes, she couldn’t find out what was happening, so told me I’d be called back inside 48 hours. 4 days later, Mrs G got a phone call from a carrier who wanted to deliver it the next day, and was disgruntled when we said no as we’d both be at work – he’d been told it was urgent and had to rearrange his schedule.

JL were even worse when we rang. This time they were decidedly grumpy about it, and keen to point out how much it was costing them for our sofa to be delivered.

A simple phone call, at any point, to agree when we could be in to greet the delivery guys (who were a genuine delight, by the way) could have avoided all this. It might also have left me a happy shopper and likely to buy from them again.

I’m off for a lie-down on our new couch – I need some retail therapy.

This post first appeared as the lead piece in my column/page in The Mail and the News & Star, on the 2nd of February 2018, where it was re-titled as "Are you sitting uncomfortably?"

Still no sighting of a News & Star - I'll keep you posted!

Deeply disappointing to have been let down by the normally very reliable JL, and so very simple to have avoided, utilising that marvellous invention, the electric telephone.

(CD A-Z: Midge's Ure's rather splendid "Move Me".)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi