Skip to main content

Hotel life – at your inconvenience

Quick! More cushions!

I’ve recently spent a couple of nights in a hotel. Obviously, it was awful. Not calamitously bad or anything, just irritatingly not quite right.

Once the fundamentals had been dealt with, like; ‘Is it clean?’, ‘Are there spiders?’ and ‘Are you sure there aren’t any spiders?’ the experience was a journey into crushing disappointment and frustrated inconvenience.

The plug sockets were apparently deliberately installed by a maniacal electrician with a degree in evil. They knew how to place them precisely in entirely the right place to render them either inaccessible or useless.

Could I plug my phone in by the bed and use it as a clock so I could see exactly what time it was when I was awoken by another guest noisily using their loo? No. Any future visits to waterfalls will remind me of the horror.

The gap under the room’s door was so wide, even a moderately competent limbo dancer would have had no problem squeezing underneath. We had to line up the copious cushions from the bed across the gap. On the plus side, should we have lost our key, I think we could have still got in if we wriggled enough.

How do they make hotel rooms so hot? The radiators weren’t on and the windows were open. Explain that, and the planet’s energy problems are solved.

This was definitely the softest mattress ever. I don’t just mean in my hotel-staying experience. I mean ever made. We were lucky to get out alive without a winch and pulley system.

The early fire alarm was a highlight. I thought seriously about going outside naked, but figured I didn't really have enough time to get undressed again first.

Was the crockery from a doll’s house? If I had put all the hot chocolate sachet’s contents into the cup, there wouldn’t have been enough space for the hot water. I'd have to have poured it in my mouth and spooned the powder in. I'm pretty sure that would constitute a health and safety violation... but only if I'd actually been able to find a socket I could plug it into which was sufficiently near the table.

What's ‘continental’ about a micro-packet of cornflakes? (Other insufficiently filling breakfast cereals were also available.)

Of course, not everything is within the hotel. Who doesn't want to be awoken at 6.30am by the pastoral sounds of a beer delivery lorry and last night's empties being cleared out by staff expertly trained to find the optimal way to make as much noise as possible, solely through the medium of empty bottles? And yes I did become fully aware that "This vehicle is reversing". Unless they were driving it up the stairs to the first floor (or there's was a very large lift I hadn't spotted) the only risk was me subsequently overdosing on coffee trying to stay awake during the day.

Still, when asked, I said I'd had a lovely stay and everything was fine – I am British, after all.

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in The Mail, on the 18th of August 2017. The version used on their website retained the title, whilst the print edition went with "A hell of a hotel break".

Unusually, this one was drafted out on my phone, sat on a bench outside the hotel, on a warm morning (you could tell I wasn't in Cumbria, right?). A re-write and some additions on returning home and voila! o- ne grumbly column. The picture is genuinely from our hotel room... it was a fire door. Presumably it's called that as it would have been very good at spreading fire.

(CD A-Z: Queen - "Greatest Hits II".)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian Grand Prix - Vettel hot, but not bothered

Malaysia. It's always hot, and it always rains. Except the 2nd part is no longer true (unless you count the drizzly bit around lap 14). Saturday's qualifying session had highlighted the fact that Red Bull and McLaren seemed well matched on pace, but also that Ferrari were struggling. Whilst Vettel bagged another pole, followed by Hamilton, Webber and Button, Alonso was only 5th, and Massa 7th, with Nick Heidfeld an excellent 6th on the grid between the two red cars. At this point, I would like to break momentarily for a small rant: How many times do I have to say Heidfeld is good? Why wasn't he given a top drive years ago? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! ARE YOU BLIND!!!?? Ahem. The Hispanias somehow managed to a) turn up b) remember to bring cars c) get both of them on the track d) actually get both of them within 107%. Pretty remarkable really. Oh, and it didn't rain. Race day looked a more likely candidate for a drop of the wet stuff. The start was exciting, with

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.