Skip to main content

Faking it for real

As Donald “I’m really great, everybody says so” Trump is so fond of pointing out, there is a lot of fake news around nowadays. Honest.

Your friends at Facebook think so too, and have recently been publishing their top tips for spotting false news – by placing them as ads in newspapers. Considering they came in for considerable criticism themselves, that’s like shouting “Squirrel!” and pointing at a tree whilst you hastily kick away the prize begonias you just trampled.

To help you make sense of this (and because I’m a caring person), I thought I’d run you through their suggestions and help to explain them for you. I know. I’m lovely.

1. Be sceptical of headlines

READING THIS ARTICLE WILL IMPROVE YOUR SEX LIFE!!! And explain that catchy headlines, or stuff all in capitals might be a bit iffy.

2. Look closely at the URL

You can find out more about this at www.wowyouregullible.com if you want to understand how phony web addresses are a sure sign of dodgyness.

3. Investigate the source

Look at me – I’m a trustworthy guy, right? Nothing strange about me. I’ve never made anything up, like a dystopian future article, or argued why wind-chime owners want to see the planet burn. Nope.

4. Watch for unusual formatting

Thats just reediculouss. You’d nevet catch me making a schoolboy
 error5Like that.

5. Consider the photos

Apparently, manipulated images are a sign that something is amiss. Here’s me having a lovely cappuccino whilst thinking about that.

6. Inspect the dates

Apparently, the timelines in fake news might not make sense, which is exactly what I said in my column on the 31st of February. The one about Freddie Mercury making a new album this week.

7. Check the evidence

Lack of evidence, or reliance on unnamed experts, is exactly the kind of thing that spells trouble, according to my totally amazing Facebook top CEO/Insider friend. True story.

8. Look at other reports

You can read exactly the same thing over on the BBC website. And it was in the Guardian, so it must be true.

9. Is the story a joke?

Obviously, there is a chance a piece was deliberately written to be funny or satirical. Lucky for you, I’m the one doing this bit of in-depth investigative journalism, so you can sleep easy knowing this isn’t in the slightest bit humorous.

10. Some stories are intentionally false

No. Really? Does that mean Trump isn’t president? I’m starting to like this fake news malarkey after all. Especially now that Beyonce has married Roy Castle.

This post first appeared as my "Thank grumpy it's Friday" column, in the North West Evening Mail, on the 19th of May 2017. The print version was re-titled as "Fake news - keeping it real", whilst the version used on their website became "Faking it - and this time it's for real".

The online version had the picture of me at the top with the caption "Splitting hairs: Peter, with obviously genuine barnet, considers fake news over a cappuccino". The print version included the picture next to the item number, and also ran it in their page guide with "Peter Grenville's essential guide to spotting fake news is truly hair-raising". 

Including the column header image, that's three pictures of me in the same paper. People will start thinking I'm their local MP or something.

This was a fun one to write, prompted by a full page add in our complimentary newspaper from the hotel we stayed in on my birthday - I say complimentary... I think they can afford it from the amount we paid, so I suspect they aren't exactly out of pocket.

With more time (a side effect of writing columns close to the deadline each week) I'd have photoshopped someone famous into the photo too.

(CD A-Z: The recently purchased Twelve Inch Seventies - "More, More. More".)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I know I'll regret this...

For @Feisty_Onion @BroughtonLass @LizWestmorland Me... before the grumpiness set in. Have a great weekend.

Senna bags Willy drive?

The great thing about F1 rumours is that they change every 5 minutes. Just last week it was looking like Barrichello might be back in at Williams, as new engines, tech staff and a general reshuffle would mean they needed someone who actually knew what they were doing in an F1 car. Which rules out Maldonado, obviously. Now it looks like Senna might be about to get a seat with the team where his Uncle lost his life. I'm sure Bruno's mum must be delighted. I don't hold with all this superstitious mumbo-jumbo though, and with the extraordinary level of safety in modern F1 cars, Bruno should be pretty safe. There is one significant problem with Williams signing him though - and this is going to be a bit unpopular I suspect - Bruno isn't very good. Yes, he put in a couple of reasonable performances with Renault, but Nick Heidfeld (ah... Nick and his lovely beard...) would have been able to do likewise, has he not been dropped. And then they dropped Senna too. Thi

Start your engines – it’s F1 time again!

It may only feel like last week that the Formula 1 season finished but, after a break so short the engines are probably still warm, it’s back this weekend. Much has happened off-track during the ever-decreasing winter break, including World Champion Lewis Hamilton winning the BBC TV Sports Personality of the Year award and having photos of himself plastered all over his Twitter account looking moody, stylish, and fashionable in shots so posed you could get a couple of quick laps of Monaco in whilst his entourage figured out if the lighting was flattering enough. The Caterham and Marussia teams went bust, got resurrected, went into receivership, were having their assets auctioned off (which sounds painful) , being brought out, saved, optimistic about the future and doomed, and all that before Christmas. The end result is that Caterham didn’t make it, whilst Marussia are now Manor and ready to roll with a hastily altered car from last year. Assuming the paint has dried in time, and